With the autumn season upon us, it’s time to get geared up for everyone’s favorite fall activity…no, not pumpkin carving; GUTTER CLEANING! Time to do the “Safety Dance” and get down with some tips that will save your hide!
- Practice Ladder Safety: Let a friend or neighbor know that you will be working on a ladder. Make sure it is durable, sturdy and not too heavy as you will move it frequently as you clean.
- Rake Leaves & Debris off Rooftop First: This is not always necessary, but it will ensure no gutter refilling as you work. No one likes to double back! Also bear in mind if you are walking on the roof, dampest times are mornings. Late mornings, or early afternoons are the best times to walk on a roof.
- Utilize a Garden Hose: Opt for a “pistol-grip” trigger sprayer, this will allow you to adjust water pressure with the use of one hand. There are extension attachments as well that provide a longer reach if necessary.
- Get a Gutter Scoop: Scooping out leafy debris can be a lot easier with a strong handled scoop. Plastic is best, as it does not scrape or scratch the gutters. This will aide in rust prevention.
- Wear the Right Gear: It is wise to wear safety goggles, durable work gloves, and rubber-soled shoes. Rubber-soled shoes provide necessary traction, while goggles ensure that random flying debris stays away from your eyes! It can also be helpful to use water-resistant gloves, as gutter cleaning can get a little messy.
- Unclog the Downspouts: After the gutters are clean, run the water hose directly into the downspout to be sure no water backs-up. If a clog arises, tapping the side of the downspout usually does the trick.
- Schedule Semi-Annual Cleanings: Keeping gutters clean and clear prevents water damage both to your home and the gutter system. Debris can cause additional runoff, compromising the home’s foundation. Gutter debris can also speed up rusting when no rainfall occurs, as trapped moisture cannot escape.
- Be Mindful of Power Lines: Inspect any wires or cables connected to, or near the roof. This is to ensure the protective wire insulation is intact, and it’s safe to be near the wires. If cables appear worn or damaged, contact a licensed professional electrical contractor to make repairs BEFORE cleaning the gutters!
- Invest in Gutter Protection: Using a quality gutter protection system can eliminate the need for gutter cleaning entirely. Weather Tight offers performance tested Gutter Protection with lifetime warranties! Check out our website for more information: http://www.weathertightcorp.com/gutters/gutter-protection.php or call us at 414.459.3888 for a free quote!
Weather Tight believes that being properly educated in gutter cleaning techniques is the key to a successful and safe gutter cleaning experience! Pace yourself, and take the amount of time necessary to be safe this season.